The past few months, I have been seeing a lot of amazing cookies with super cool text. I really wanted to figure how people were doing it because I wanted pretty writing too. I guess, most use their Kopykake. So I started to experiment a little bit with fonts and my Kopykake.

   

   

   

All of the above cookies were fun to make. This is what I learned bit about fonts. 

First, getting the font just right is critical if the cookie is a logo or something very specific; like the Centre Church cookie, Seven Mountains Wine & Cellars cookie, and The Journey cookie.

I also like using a specific font to match a party theme, like the Daisha cookie that went with a Little Red Riding Hood collection. I used the same font that was on the invitations and paper goods.

The Kopykake is clutch when making sure the words will fit on the cookie. I always think of that 'plan ahead' example where everything fits on one line except the 'd' in the word ahead. I'm not the greatest at spacial relations (I hit a parked car once)...so I really need all the help I can get. 

Plus, sometimes (actually all the time) they just look prettier than my regular icing handwriting. Maybe I could have done that Happy Birthday cookie once...but to do it over and over for an order would probably kill me.

So then I decided I really wanted to try experimenting with a trickier font. So I found this one on www.1001freefonts.com.

It's called D_Old_Modern. I really liked the detail on the letters. I used a #1 and #2 Wilton tip to create the letters and flooded the thicker parts of the letters. 

Then I thought it would be fun to match a font type to a certain concept.

So I dreamed up this cookie to go with the set...

I could not have done this cookie without the Kopykake. Again, I used a #1 tip, but probably could have used a #0 if I had it.



I used a chunky block letter on the sewing cookie and added the stitching with a food marker. The letters were outlined with a #1 tip and then flooded. P.S. the zipper on this cookie was fun to make. 



I wanted to do a glitzier cookie. So I picked an easier font, but added pink disco dust to the letters with a paint brush. I blew on the cookies to get extras off and then I had glitter on my face for the rest of the day. Gotta love disco dust. 



Here are all four of my font cookies together. It's amazing what a big difference the font makes for a cookie design.  


Have a sweet day,

Anne